Jewish Culture & Tradition
Montefiore supports the wide variety of our residents’ Jewish religious, spiritual, and cultural traditions and backgrounds.
We have a full-time Spiritual Dean, Rabbi David Rogut OAM and a Spiritual, Cultural and Community Engagement Manager and Co-ordinator to ensure a comprehensive religious, cultural and spiritual program is on offer.
The Home makes provision for:
- Kosher meals and traditional Jewish food
- Commemoration and observance of all Jewish festivals, High Holy days, and Shabbatot with families and the community
- Synagogue services at Hunters Hill and Randwick as well as religious services at Woollahra
- Participation in challah baking activities
- A Shabbat on Wheels program bringing the Shabbat experience to those residents requiring higher care and unable to attend Shabbat services
- Zikaron services to honour and remember residents who have passed away
- A comprehensive resident lifestyle program of Jewish discussions and activities led by staff, guest presenters and visiting Rabbis.
In 2012, Montefiore received a Better Practice Award from the Australian Aged Care Quality Agency for its Religious, Spiritual and Cultural Life Project.
For further information please contact the Religious Department
Participating with residents at the Shabbat service and appreciating their knowledge of Judaism and the lives they have led is fulfilling.
Peter Haneman, Volunteer