Montefiore-Home-History
Montefiore Homes Logo Section Menu

Our History

1774

Moses Montefiore, the man after which Sir Moses Montefiore Jewish Home (‘the Home’) was named, was born in Italy. Living in England, he proved to be an astute businessman and rose to prominence. Devoted his time and resources to community and civic affairs, and to the welfare of the Jewish people.


 1889

Home is a Public Benevolent Institution (PBI) and provides aged care services. Opened its doors on 27 October in South Dowling Street, Moore Park.


 1924

Home moved to Victoria Road, Bellevue Hill. Cared for 18 residents.


 1927

Home incorporated by a private Act of the NSW Parliament.


 1939

Due to growth of the Jewish community and aged population, the Home moved and re-opened in Hunters Hill. Catered for 26 adults.


 1940 – 1946

Army occupied the Home. Jewish population of Sydney doubled and expansion of the Home was an urgent priority again.


 1946 – 1996

Home at Hunters Hill underwent regular upgrading and expansion leading to its current configuration where it cares for 334 residents (Low Care Hostel, High Care Nursing Home and dementia specific accommodation).


 1991

Montefiore officially opened its second residential aged care facility at Woollahra. Currently caring for 50 residents in an exclusive Low Care Hostel environment.


 2002

Home acquired Camelot Nursing Home, an 80 bed High Care facility in Maroubra and which services the wider community.


 2006

Home officially opened stage 1 of its new Randwick Campus providing accommodation for 276 residents (107 Low Care Hostel places, 109 High Care Nursing Home places and two 30 bed Dementia Specific Units).


 From 2006

Montefiore HomeCare established to provide an extensive outreach program and services to people still living in their own home. Montefiore continues to expand.