An icon in our community! Max began teaching Jewish History, Hebrew and Tanach at Moriah College as a young man in 1966 and continued into his nineties. He was also the favoured Bar Mitzvah teacher in the community who taught hundreds of students their parsha for their milestone simcha and earned him the title "Mr Legend'. Teaching the boys their trop [musical notes] so that they could read fluently from the Torah was his passion and many of Max's students who were inspired by his enthusiasm, dedication and commitment still visit him regularly.
He gave so much to our community for so many years and now as a resident of the Home, Max spends peaceful days reading, socialising and taking part in prayer services.
Montefiore is honoured to provide Max the same dedication and care he gave to all those children over so many years enabling him to continue living his life in a familiar, secure and Jewish environment. Montefiore is proud to call Max a member of our family.
"Cast me not off in old age; do not forsake me when my strength fails."
Psalm 71, verse 9
Every human being wants to live a long life and modern medicine. nutrition. hygiene and sanitation have enabled many to achieve this goal. We have superseded the words of the Psalmist 90 v.10 "the days of our years are three score years and ten; and if by reason of strength, four score years .....
Our Jewish community is indeed fortunate in having Montefiore Home with its three campuses providing excellent services for our golden age residents.
Our residents enjoy the unique experience of living Judaism through Kashrut, Jewish values and an uplifting Jewish spiritual way of life. During the High Holiday services we highlight our responsibility to Tzedaka - charity - ensuring that Montefiore is able to care for ALL aged members of the community.
Your generosity can contribute to the continued spiritual and cultural experiences so richly enjoyed by our residents.
Please join me to make sure this continues.
May you be sealed in the Book of Life
Please join me to make sure this continues. Donate Now
- May you be sealed in the Book of life
Rabbi David Rogut OAM
Religious and Spiritual experiences at Montefiore:
- Spiritual and cultural support provided from entry of care throughout residents' lives at Montefiore
- Shabbat services and associated customs every week at all campuses including celebrations of barmitzvah anniversaries, aliyot, yahrtzeit commemoration
- Shabbat on Wheels - candles, challah and wine taken to those individual residents unable to go to the dining room
- Celebration of chagim with celebratory meals in all areas of the Home. All Chagim are celebrated and mourning days commemorated
- Residents are assisted with religious rituals eg putting on Tefillin
- Regular Shiu rim and interesting discussion groups by Rabbi Rogut OAM and other visiting Rabbonim weekly
- Kosher meals prepared onsite and served to all residents
For all enquiries contact
Lynda Dave, Spiritual and Cultural Manager
T: 02 8345 9119